Undetectable....

5.20.08
I wonder how often I've been guilty of missing important things…really great things … that had the potential to speak to me, teach me, inspire & change me… but I missed them.
I'm convinced our culture is so wrapped up in the big…the exciting …the busy …that we have lost much of our ability to sense the undetectable. I guess by this I mean "the little things" which until they're viewed through an eternal perspective might seem smaller than so many of the other things that take our attention. When those who quietly and with no need to be noticed or followed by any sort of fanfare lay their lives down, peace flavors their lives because their ears are tuned to what they need to tend to in a day, or a week, or even a year. They sense the pleasure God takes in them doing the simple tasks in their day with excellence and infused with divine purpose, and the delight he has in His voice being heard and obeyed to do something even though it may seem very ordinary.
Sometimes without warning if I'm not listening to undetectable whispers, I may miss an opportunity.
TO THE LADY ON MY FLIGHT TO FLORIDA: I'm so sorry that you were bumped from your seat. My youngest daughter needed to sit by a parent and I had just purchased tickets the night before because my dad passed away. I would never have inconvenienced anyone on purpose and I'm sorry the whole thing made you so upset.
TO THE CASHIER AT THE GROCERY STORE IN GEORGIA: When I asked you how you were, you were real with me! Thank you for sharing that you unfortunately missed a call from your son in Iraq. I didn't tell you then, but I was hoping you'd hear from him soon…and I'm thankful for the men and women that serve our country.
TO THE COUNTLESS CLERKS, WAITRESSES, SECRETARIES & CASHIERS STRUGGLING AS WE HAPPENED TO ENCOUNTER EACH OTHER: If I showed you kindness and patience, I hope it made a difference. If I didn't, I apologize because you deserved kindness and patience. We all have a bad day.
TO MY FAMILY & FRIENDS: In all those moments that you needed a listening ear, but I spoke too quickly // the moments I had words you needed, but I didn't speak them // the moments a smile from me would have brought you comfort or joy, but I didn't give it // the moments I just wasn't paying attention & I didn't slow down enough to show I cared // please forgive me.
This doesn't seem to flow well in the current of today's stream. It seems like the more notable something is – the more numbers – the more results – the bigger the bang – the louder the noise - the better it must be…and all the while the small things could very well be suffering. When I see our culture doing more, bigger, faster; I think of Jesus talking about the food he had to "that you know nothing about". I think about how he described how it sustained him to do God's will. He said that God's will was that he "lose none of all that He has given him but raise them up at the last day." That speaks to me about stewarding well over what God places in our lives and following through. It convicts me to look to what He's given me. Who do I influence? Do I take time to sense God's direction in the quiet, "unnoticed" things of my day? I want to! Whose life does mine touch? What work has He given me to do?
I certainly want to be open to new opportunities – new things He wants to develop and new places He wants to take me, but just as important to me is to be faithful to those already right here where I find myself – in the small things today instead of overlooking them, dismissing them as less important if they are neglected, or being inconvenienced by them on my way to something more exciting.
There's an incredible grace and provision that settles on a life that God has called to do anything – whether it's grand & will result in notoriety, or if it's quiet and simple. His signature on it is undeniable. It looks and feels a lot different than doing things and calling it God. I guess more than ever in my life I just want His signature on what I do because it really is coming from who I am.
I will encourage my children to esteem people that not only keep their word, but those who weigh their words before they give them! I will do my best to model to them a heart that's pleased and contented with God's goodness in whatever form it takes during the seasons of my life. I want to tune my ears to God's voice. I want to welcome what he leads me to do; even if it doesn't at all fit neatly into my plan >> even if it looks strangely enough just like the day before >> even if to others it seems almost undetectable. I know it won't be to Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Desiring...

Listening...

Asking for...

MORE OF HIM!!!

Signed...His daughter, Joni

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates