There are really joyous blessings, very obvious as they come into our lives. They are things that warm us inside / bring a smile to our faces / they might even bring a sense of relief or even be the perfect cause for a party!
But God's been speaking to me about a different kind of goodness. Imagine a circumstance that makes its way into a person's life; it might not even seem like a 'thing' with any amount of goodness at all. Sometimes curcumstances of this sort can be accompanied by a feeling of the need to "endure" it, and then on the other side, reward awaits. The goodness of things may take some time before it can be perceived....through hindsight. Hindsight is the "understanding of the significance and nature of events after they've occurred". It is every bit as much - if not more - goodness from the heart of the One who created the universe translated into my life!
There are times I'd have to admit I would have NEVER chosen a certain experience. But, I turn back to look at where I've been through that experience or circumstance...and I see God's goodness scattered all along the path I had walked on. His caring touch on my life in & through that thing - and it is so very clear. That thing I might have avoided if I could've . . . was God. I am changed by it and know Him better through it! It drew me to His side - just to sit with him.
As I laid down my cares, my desires, even myself, I reluctantly abandoned logic & chose to believe that His hand held my life; with His other He held that circumstance. He is forever sovereign. He tells me in a whisper that it's OK that I didn't see how it could be good. It's a choice to trust through the unknown. He faithfully brings me to a place where I can see back through the aid of hindsight. And given what I understand through hindsight, would I now choose those very things I would have previously done all to avoid? Absolutely!
Ps 66:10, 12 Amp
For You, O God, have proved us; You have tried us as silver is tried, refined and purified. You caused men to ride over our heads [when we were prostrate]; we went through fire and through water, but You brought us out into a broad, moist place [to abundance and refreshment and the open air].
Always in your perfect timing, God, not our will but Yours. When we face being proven, help us to trust your hand & be content with you while we wait on your deliverance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Very insightful! I firmly believe that the size of the "obstacle" is related to the size of the blessing that awaits on the other side. I think God does this for a couple of reasons. The main reason is because He is a God of the process and the journey, as you indicate.
Noah sailed, Abraham sojourned, Jacob wrestled, Moses wandered, Joseph waited, Job suffered, David tended sheep, Mary endured, John the Baptist screamed into nothing, Paul persecuted, Peter backstabbed, etc. If any one of these people fully knew what awaited the on "other side", the process would mean nothing and the blessing would be like ash, eventually blown away and forgotten.
In all honesty, Mhilet and I are on a journey right now which is very hard. We are in circumstances that, had I known...had WE known...when we started the journey, we never would have started the journey. But I have to trust, as difficult as it is, that GOD has our best interests in hand.
I image Him like a Father hiding a really neat gift behind his back. I'm a baby, just starting to take my first steps, and I know that when I reach Him His arms are going to reveal exactly what the gift is. So I press on walking, stumbling, falling until I reach Him. The humbling, yet most precious part of the journey is that the gift is just a huge hug that pulls me into His bosom and holds me there.
...because God has a way of shattering our selfish expectations and materialism with His undying love. And that, my friend, is the greatest blessing of all.
LOVE Kendall's pic!!! Beautiful!!! I loved seeing all your pics of the beach! Glad you FINALLY took some time to 'get away' I know you all need to do that more often- & escape!!!!!!!! Love seeing all of you- you have a gorgeous family!!!!!! Miss seeing your smiling faces!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment