Talking with God is nothing complicated. It's probably the simplest thing we could think of doing! He made us, wants us to talk with Him, and is always there! We can come to Him just as we are, messy or otherwise; anytime, anywhere & with anything. I don't post what follows to say there's some formula to talking with God, but rather taking truth from the OT and asking God what it can show me about relating to Him.
I want to dig a little here into some thoughts about coming before God, for decisions to be made, to worship & to commune with Him. Care to join me?
Exodus 28:30 "Also put the Urim and the Thummim in the breastpiece, so they may be over Aaron's heart whenever he enters the presence of the Lord. Thus Aaron will always bear the means of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the Lord."
This breastpiece to be worn over the heart was certainly a literal "thing" to be done in the priesthood, but it's a type and a shadow and has truth for us today about going before the Lord. This element was to be worn into the presence of the Lord; a vital preparation.
How do I prepare my heart? This piece covered their heart. Think of a cover. It lays on the surface of something. What lays on the surface of my spirit as I talk with God?
Among other symbolic significance, the piece had a pocket into which the Urim and Thummim were to be placed. The Hebrew meanings for these terms are: light, brilliant revelation; perfection, integrity, complete truth.
Jesus is OUR high priest. He is Light. (He is the reason we have revelation / knowledge of God and relationship with Him.) Matthew Henry said "There is no light, no wisdom, no perfection but from Him, no glory, no beauty but in being like unto Him." Jesus is our Righteousness, He is Perfection and Complete Truth.
Now, stay with me here! We are a royal priesthood, right? What does this all mean for me? How do I "prepare" as I go before my God? Remember the chestpiece worn as a type and a shadow for us to also learn from was adorned with a precious stone for each tribe of God's people. All of God's people. So, for me today, are all God's people equally precious in my eyes? Do I esteem any over others? Do I have God's view of His own? Do I go to God in prayer with a right perspective of myself? In humility with regard to who He is, but in full fresh revelation of who I am to Him?
This is so exciting to see hints tucked here and there into rituals and customs performed in Biblical times that can mold my mindset about entering into God's presence! The Urim & Thummim weren't permanently sewn into the piece or set in gold. For me, today, that is a great reminder how easy it can be to go into God's presence 'without' light. I need to talk with God always seeing Him and knowing Him as He is & not through my flesh or perceptions rooted in pains of my past. It also reminds me that I can go to God without integrity. I don't ever want to stand before God on my own merit. My righteousness is in Christ & all He provided to completely replace my filthy rags. Do I come before God always in complete truth in response to conviction? These elements that were tucked into a sort of pocket, were called "objects used to determine God's will". If I am seeking God's will, I want to let him examine my heart and show me any of these areas that need attention.
Earlier in the chapter it says that the chestpiece was to be made ('prepared') with the most careful workmanship. Deliberate. Focused. Concise. I know Him in whom I have believed - but I will know Him more and more and I will gain fresh knowledge of who He is and His will as I talk with Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great post! I will definitely examine my heart before I enter into God's presence. Thanks for sharing your insight into that OT passage!
Post a Comment