Simple Isn't Always Easy!


Simple never used to mean very much to me, but I've recently grown to love this word! Just look at some of the definitions {common, ordinary, not grand or sophisticated, unpretentious, free of deceit or guile, sincere, unconditional, not complicated or complex,not elaborate or artificial, not ornate or luxurious, easy to understand and deal with}. It has recently crept into my concept of living a good life! I believe it's still in the process of becoming an approach to life and it actually sounds soothing to me. Of course the logistics of countless ways this concept can be applied in daily life are unending ... and just as numerous are the various ways "simple" is translated in the lives of different people.
Have you ever heard of anyone riding their bicycle somewhere instead of driving their car? Do you know of anyone that tends a garden (and their harvest from it)? Does anyone come to your mind that is really good at slowing down, making eye contact along with speaking a warm, sincere greeting clearly & then actually listening to the others' response? Going without a certain thing for the sole purpose of carving out more peace in a day is an uncommon aspiration...and I'd venture to say it's slightly controversial in today's culture; there's always a phone call or email to answer, a tv show or movie to see, a new toy or technology gadget to buy, shopping to be done or some sort of busyness to get on with. I don't think any of those things, among others, are bad things. But neither are the things that are free...or the things that take more time and effort...or that settle our thoughts and quiet our hearts - and I will always welcome more of that!
Here's the latest Lloyd household experiment: instead of loading the dishwasher, each person in our family washes the dishes they eat on & puts them away. At first it seemed like it would be a lot of time and work to accomplish the same thing the dishwasher does for us. But, it's not only much quicker than we thought it would be...then there came the unexpected bonus - it slowed me down...and I enjoy how it feels to do the work with my hands! I'm not at all declaring the evils of modern appliances - I am wondering however what other things I might enjoy but seldom consider the possibility of them bringing me more than an inconvenience as I continue on with the "quickest" way to get from point A to point B - all in the name of gaining more time in order to do more. (wow - that was a terrible run-on sentence!)
Right now, I'm listening to a beautiful breeze blow through the trees outside the open window. I could have easily ignored it. It took more effort to stop myself, enjoy it & be refreshed by it but I'm undoubtedly better off.

Sometimes, simple can mean for me - not just doing the things that come at me. Anyone that's driven in snowfall in the dark of night can picture with me the hypnotic torrent of flakes coming toward the windshield. It dawned on me that for me I gain great satisfaction from stopping (when MY speed slows, the snowflakes definitely resemble something more scerene; drifting & floating as opposed to hurtling) - and listen for God to show me what He has in store for me to focus on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, sister! I feel like we might just have some similar views! I'd like to pass this on to others(if you don't mind).

Love ~ Joni

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates