"Trusted Recipes"

I have this great recipe for chocolate chip pumpkin muffins. I have many really good recipes. They will never be featured on Iron Chef. You'll never hear Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray talking about them or see them in their cookbooks! But they are recipes of our family, of our home. I don't cook as often as I used to, due partially to having less time and partially to my scale screaming at me when I do! But when I can I love to fill the apartment with smells that just cannot be mistaken for anything but homemade goodness. I turn to my cupboard of trusted recipes. Of course this time of year is perfect for this recipe. Pumpkin, cocoa, cinnamon, and chocolate brought more smiles today than I could have found on their faces at the fair.


My collection of recipes are ones that not only taste good, but are forgiving. By this I mean, they are flexible to my whims! Sometimes I substitute certain ingredients, and sometimes I measure only by how much it looks like I'm pouring into the mixture. But the general idea is still there - written plain as day on the recipe to guide me when I need it (or when I can't remember what it said!) Now, you can't do that with just any recipe. No; recipes that work for me need to be understanding and not touchy in the least!


One of these days I will get all of my recipes organized. I will put them all in a format allowing me to hand them down to Kendall and Madison as they have asked. Until then, my recipes are there, just as I left them. They are tucked away, some printed, some written, some stained & wrinkled. They aren't filed in any sort of way, I find them more by familiarity than anything else! They are really GOOD recipes that my family loves.


I love ordinary things. On the heels of my last post, I thought I'd share this. We ended up at a favorite Chinese restaurant that we haven't been to for probably over a year. Of course we were given 4 fortune cookies. We open them and usually laugh at them. I don't take any counsel from them nor do I gain anything from fortune cookies. I know my life is in God's hand as well as my future and any direction I would need to remain in his will for it! God alone is our source for life, provision, joy & peace. But, I have to say, this one (more of a common sense suggestion than anything) made me smile.



It really is an ability. I guess I never thought of it that way. I have the ability to do a lot of things and those abilities can be lost. I can touch my toes . . . all it would take is a bit of neglect and I'd lose that ability. Well, you get my point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love reading whatcha got to say, Jayne!

Now....would that be an "ordinary" base of a lamp in the background?

I know this is gonna sound silly, but I've been wondering when you might write something about ME on your blog. Then I realized you already have...Last 2 posts were about "simple" and "ordinary".

Thank you my sweet sister(you know who I am).hahaha

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates